Dvorak keyboard software on a Sun

Pat Lashley apple!zygot!cohesive!kla!serendip!pat at decwrl.dec.com
Thu Mar 30 10:12:16 AEST 1989

In article <8903010045.AA08334 at cs.columbia.edu> dupuy at cs.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) writes:
>    Under 4.0, there is a Defaults entry /Input/Keymap_Directory (by default,
>    /usr/lib/keymaps) which contains a number of .keydef files which should
>    seem to be something like the outpuy of your getkbd.c....

You might want to check out the loadkeys(1) and keytables(5) man pages,
and the files in /usr/share/lib/keytables.  I think that the various
layouts defined there are chosen with the /Input/Keyboard_Type defaults
entry.  The named files in /usr/share/lib/keytables appear to be hard
links to the layout_?? files.  It should be pretty easy for someone
familiar with the Dvorak layout to generate (and post <-- hint) an
appropriate table for a Type4 keyboard.

These man pages are marked as SunOS Release 4.0.1, they are not marked as
386i specific.  I think that the 386i is the only Sun currently available
with the type 4 keyboard referred to in loadkeys(1).  At least until
April... :-)

--- Reply to address below - DO NOT auto-route ---
PMLashley	...{sun,megatest,sts,zygot}!cohesive!kla!pat
KLA Instruments	POBox 58016, 3901 Burton Drive
		Santa Clara, CA 95052		+1 408 988 6100