rlogins hanging under 4.0

Pertti Lehtinen mcvax!etana.tut.fi!pl at uunet.uu.net
Wed Mar 8 23:44:11 AEST 1989

by siedelbe at stout.ucar.edu (Mike Siedelberg):
> I also have had this happen to a few of my sun 4s running 4.0 and other
> sysmgrs at NCAR have mentioned it too.  It has always happened when a user
> has left background processes running after logout.  The process seems
> like it doesn't want to release the ttypx and as you say, the workaround
> is to leave the rlogin process going and then rlogin on another pseudo
> tty.  Also Sun says they cannot dupicate it.  Maybe we should gang up on
> Sun :  -).  I think I will at least call them back and say that I am not the
> only one out here experiencing this prob.

We have also seen this happen.

Pseudo tty is reserved so, that when logging in it appears to be in raw
mode although stty says it is normal.

Using newline I am able to log in but all characters get mapped to EOF so
it does not help, as I get immediately logged out.

But when user with tcsh as login shell logs in, pseudo tty appears to work
ok.

And everytime this happens, there has been background processes on that
line.

	Pertti Lehtinen
	pl at tut.fi

pl at tut.fi