How well HP and SUNs work together

Anthony A. Datri aad at stepstone.com
Thu Mar 23 13:39:08 AEST 1989

>>	HP-UX uses terminfo while SUN uses termcap.

>This isn't quite correct - and isn't fair to *either* vendor.  HP does use
>terminfo but provides termcap emulation.  I haven't tried it and don't
>know how transparent it is.

I've compiled microemacs using it, and it seems to work fine.  What I
can't seem to do is figure out what kind of a terminal to call our console
outside of a window manager.

>However, where the Sun shines (if you'll pardon the expression) is that
>you get utilities for converting between terminfo and termcap.  These I
>have used, and they're lifesavers.  Thanks to these, our Suns have an HP
>termcap entry, and our HPs have a Sun terminfo.

I think our 9000/320 (6.02, 6.2) had a sun entry to begin with.  I haven't
figured out just what HP entry I need elsewhere, though.  IBM's AIX, for
example, has a few IBM and DEC terminals, and very little else.  There are
cap <-> info tools publically available, I believe.

>For those who need to mix and match, "/usr/5bin/infocmp -C" run on an
>NFS-mounted HP compiled terminfo file generates a termcap entry.

For Sun people who are wondering why they don't have a /usr/5bin, it's
part of the sysV compatibility subset, which you may not have loaded.