Long monitor extention cables

Gianluigi Zanetti zanetti at phoenix.princeton.edu
Fri Mar 10 02:29:44 AEST 1989

We are attempting to solve a cabling mess by consolidating our cpus in one
room and our monitors in another.  We have elected to build a patch panel
with a number of BNC coax connectors and some db-9 connectors for the
keyboards.  The cable run length is approximately 30 feet, plus an
additional amount from the monitor to panel and from the panel to the CPU.

We need advice on choosing coax cables to accomplish this:

	First:  What is the maximum length for a monitor cable?

	Second: What quality of cable is required (will cheap stuff from
		Radio Shack do)?

	Third:	Suggestions for cost cutting--we have 10 cpus which implies
		forty cables--is there a better way?

Any advice would be helpful.  Please respond via email to the above address.

Andrew Simms
Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics
Princeton University
218 Fine Hall, Washington Road
Princeton, N.J.   08544