"Best Way" to inhibit halting of workstations?

W. Gregg Stefancik wstef at beta.eng.clemson.edu
Thu Mar 30 07:30:47 AEST 1989

What is the best way to stop non-staff personel from halting a workstation
and then booting it up in single user mode as root?

I've seen numerous suggestions posted here.  I would like to know what
method has proved the most secure and feature free in practice.

W. Gregg Stefancik < wstef at eng.clemson.edu >

[[ If you are running 4.0, then remove the word "secure" from the console
line in /etc/ttytab.  This will make single user boot prompt for the root
password at the tail end of the booting phase.  --wnl ]]