Larger DOS windows on 386i

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Tue Mar 14 09:07:55 AEST 1989

> I have a question about DOS windows on the SUN 386i - is it possible
> to resize a DOS window such that the application can make use of
> the larger area?  We are running a word-processing program (T3 -
> T cubed, if you're interested), and the small window the SUN
> allocates to DOS applications tends to strain the eyes.

I think you have only two options:  1) If the program can run in a
bit-mapped mode using Microsoft Windows you can install Windows and run it
that way.  The Windows driver supplied by Sun knows about resizing SunView
windows. 2) You can buy the RR-100 option from Sun (I have only seen this
demonstrated - haven't tried it myself) - it seems to allow you to "double
pixel" or "triple pixel" to get larger DOS windows on your screen.

Has anyone tried fooling with the files in:

  /usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts/pcfont*  ???

It would seem that by enlarging or replacing these fonts you could trick
the DOS window into being a little easier on the eyes...

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org