YP/routed interfere on 3.4

Rick McGonegal sysrick at cfht.cfht.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 29 16:10:32 AEST 1989

We are running a group of diskless Sun 3/60's served off of a Sun 3/180
runniing OS 3.4. The problem we have run into involves having a default
route in the routing tables and trying to switch YP servers from a
diskless client.

We first ran into this during booting where the startup of routed came
before call to /etc/mount the nfs file systems. The symptom here was that
the client would hang here with "yp: server not responding..." messages
forever. Commenting out the call to routed solved this problem. We added a
static route *after* the nfs mounts and (at least) solved the booting
problem.

Now the problem is that, if a client's yp server gets slow or is goes
down, the client again cannot switch yp servers and starts to hang on the
same error message as above.

I would be interested in anyone else's input on this problem (we cannot go
to 4.0 until the performance problems are solved).