Adding clients under 4.0

psykes at scotland.bbn.com psykes at scotland.bbn.com
Fri Mar 24 08:09:57 AEST 1989

> there wasn't enough room in /export/swap for the swap file
>we requested.  Of course, "setup_client" didn't say anything
>and of course we tried to boot the client.

The fun I remember from installing OS4.0 and setting up the clients is
that I wanted to distribute the swap files over two disks : /export/swap
and /export/swap1. The install program asked all the right questions got
all the right answers and just over half way through complained there was
not enough space in /export/swap.  This is before it runs setup_client
which may explain why the latter doesn't bother checking.

It appeared to be adding the total size of the swap files I declared,
assuming they were all in /export/swap and refusing to let me add more. I
couldn't use install to add  more than could be contained in /export/swap
even if they were distributed in other partitions.

I recited the usual incantations to the Gods of The Nearly-Right-Software
and did the rest by hand.

Pete Sykes		BBN Systems & Technologies
			Scotland

[[ Suninstall is certainly not the brightest thing on four wheels.  Don't
ever, ever, ever type ahead while running suninstall.  If you do, you'll
be sorry.  --wnl ]]