Fig - what is it

Micah Beck beck at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 1 15:29:01 AEST 1989

In X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 7, Issue 159, message 14 of 14, Brian Thorstad
asks:

> Exactly what is Fig?  Whose protocol is it, and where can more information
> be found?

To which our trusty moderator repsonded with a short description of Fig
1.4.2 However, there is more to the story.  The program described by WNL
is the original Fig program written at U of Texas.  Two other versions
exist:

Fig 1.4.FS (Fig-FS) is an enhanced version of Fig developed at Cornell.
It fixes various bugs and implements some extensions.  Both Fig 1.4.2 and
Fig-FS run only under SunView.

Fig 1.4.3 (XFig) is another version of Fig which was developed by a group
at Rochester, Bellcore, and MIT, which can be compiled either for SunView
or for the X Window System V11.  Unfortunately, most of the Fig-FS
enhancements are not implemented in XFig.

So much for the Fig program.  As Brian indicates, Fig is also a protocol.
The format of the files produced by Fig constitutes a simple graphics
language.  The TransFig package which I have assembled includes a set of
translators from this "Fig code" to PostScript and various TeX and Troff
compatible graphics languages.  It also includes a manual with a fairly
detailed reference guide to the syntax and interpretation of Fig code.

It is quite possible for programs other than Fig to use this format: a
translator exists from the PIC graphics language to Fig code, and a tool
for generating numerical plots in Fig code is under development.

I recommend using Fig-FS under SunView, and using the TransFig translation
tools rather than the older versions which are included with some versions
of Fig (f2p and f2ps).  Fig-FS and TransFig are available via anonymous
FTP from SVAX.CS.CORNELL.EDU in directory ~ftp/pub/fig.  XFig is available
via FTP from CAYUGA.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU.  For more information, see the
TransFig manual.

Micah Beck			beck at cs.cornell.edu
Dept of Computer Science
Cornell University