Sun 3 console question

Jeff Stearns jeff at tc.fluke.com
Tue Mar 14 22:14:40 AEST 1989

casey at lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>  [text deleted]
>We use standard ascii terminals as the consoles of all our file servers.
>After the systems have been up for a while, the terminals lock up and we
>haven't figured out how to break them out of that mode.  This happens
>reliably on two 3/180s and a 3/280 running SUN OS 3.4, and two 3/280s
>running SUN OS 3.5 on a whole variety of terminals....

The wedged console problem.  You ain't unique.

I recall two important points:
    - Don't ever suntools to run on the server.  Some folks try to start up
      suntools from .login; this will of course fail on your server.  In
      the process, it will wedge the console.

      FIX: Remove or rename /dev/kbd and /dev/mouse.  This will force
	   suntools to abort before it wedges your console.

    - Take another look at your /etc/ttys.  Fire up exactly one init for your
      console; it should be initiated on /dev/ttya (or ttyb) instead of
      /dev/console.  Thus your /etc/ttys should look something like:
	    02console
	    12ttya
	    02ttyb

About those blank looks.  Yeah, we get them over the phone and via email, too.
--
    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff at tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff