Preen and SunOS 4.0

Brian Berliner prisma!berliner at uunet.uu.net
Wed Mar 1 20:51:40 AEST 1989

> Also, can anyone tell me why the /etc/rc.boot distributed by sun tests for
> a return code of 0 or 2 instead of just 0 in the case statement after
> checking the disks?  Fsck is not documented as returning a 2.  What does
> it mean?

"fsck" uses exit status 2 to indicate to rc.boot (and "init") that it has
successfully checked the disks, but not to go directly into multi-user
state.

Typing the QUIT (^\) character while "fsck" is doing its work will cause
"fsck" to exit with a status of 2 instead of zero only if all worked as
expected.  This is basically just a quick out to get you cleanly into
single-user mode, when you forgot to do ">b -s".

If you're running "preen", things may work differently.  You may have to
make "preen" understand this signal handling protocaol and have preen exit
with a 2 instead.

Brian Berliner
Prisma, Inc.
berliner at prisma.com