DNI problems on a 386i/250

Bill Weissborn WEISSBORN at ntcvx1.sdr.slb.com
Wed Mar 1 01:48:56 AEST 1989

In volume 7 n 139, I complained that I was having problems with DNI on my
Road Runner(386i/250) after upgrading to 4.0.1.  I found out shortly after
posting that message what the problem was and the solution.

The solution is found, in all places, in the Application and Developer's
Notes on page 28.  Turns out that there is a change in the ethernet driver
under 4.0.1 and you must patch the dni_driver.0 and then rebuild the
kernel!  (I thought that drivers were re-loadable on a 386i?!)

By the way, for those of you who are looking to purchase DNI for the
RoadRunner, you must have the Developer's Kit.  According to my source at
Sun, someone has decided that having ranlib, which is used in the DNI
installation, constitutes having a development machine!!

Thanks to all who have offered possible solutions to this problem.  I am
constantly amazed at the number and quality of responses I get from this
forum.  Maybe we should all drop USA4SUN and use sun-spots. (I couldn't
resist this little jab.)