Info on new machines

John Neubert U1DF1 at wvnvm.wvnet.edu
Wed May 10 19:36:36 AEST 1989

People are asking for sources of third party info on the new machines.
May, "Byte", has a fair article on the 030 and SPARC entry machines.
Spring SunTechnology has a great article on them.  What did Sun Observer
do?  For a good article on the company see the cover story in May 1 issue
of Electronic Business.

Me... I think the new systems are *fantastic*, superb would have been
appropriate if they had done better audio (one channel, no MIDI!!).  I
still like them better than DECstation 3100, BUT then there's Aiion, and
what about i860 and Transputer systems.  I understand Sun actually
considered the Transputer at one time (guess when they were looking at all
RISC development vs doing inhouse) but let it drop.  I really wonder what
would have happened if Sun had bought Inmos -- they were up for sale
(fairly cheaply) at that time.  But, we'll get there.  Sun's supposedly
working on parallel SPARC systems.

But, that SPARCstation 1 is a beauty.  With Lego (GX) it's a winner.  And,
according to William Larson, Sun's corporate director of marketing
programs, as quoted in the April 24, 1989, "Digital Review" (good source
of workstation info by the way), "Larson teased that Sun's next hardware
announcement will help define 'How low is low?' on the price performance
curve."  That was *after* the SPARCstation1 announcement; so, some
INTERESTING times ahead.