FTP (user) and access problems

ejs at goldhill.com ejs at goldhill.com
Thu May 18 03:36:45 AEST 1989

Thanks to wnl for the answer to my FTP problem.  I created an /etc/shells
file listing all the shells that are in use at our site and FTP started
working fine.  Was /etc/shells documented?  The man page for ftp and ftpd
didn't mention this file.

-- Eric

[[ You have to read ftpd(8) verrrrry carefully.  There's a paragraph that
starts out "ftpd authenticates users according to three rules" and it
enumerates those rules.  Rule number 2 says that the user's shell must be
"standard" as defined by getusershell(3).  Guess what?  You now have to go
read getusershell(3) to find out what the criterion is.  /etc/shells is
documented there.  Wonderful, huh?  --wnl ]]