new Sun type-4 keyboards

Chuck Musciano chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Fri May 26 21:37:55 AEST 1989

> Does anyone know if you can actually plug an old-style keyboard into a new
> machine (like a SPARCstation-1 or 3/80)?

Our Orlando sales rep brought the new machines by for a demo, and said
that you could plug older type-3 keyboards into the new machines and they
would work.  I didn't actually try this, though.

I, too, like the type-3 keyboards best.  While I could be forced to get
used to a new one, why can't Sun simply offer multiple keyboard options.
Surely it can't be that hard to design a universal keyboard interface so
that different keyboards all work correctly.  They offer eight jillion
different monitor/frame buffer options, why not a few different keyboards?

My personal favorite keyboard of all time was the one attached to an IBM
3100 terminal.  Just the right click and tactile feedback.  A beautiful
keyboard.  Say what you want about IBM, they really understand good
keyboard design (latest PC efforts notwithstanding :-)

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}