Why are new Suns thick Ethernet only

Chien Nguyen nguyen at key.key.com
Thu May 18 11:15:40 AEST 1989

In article <10217 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf at oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>I was surprised
>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
>agree with going with only 1 port.  It means not having to mess with
>jumper cables.  But why thick?!?

Most users already have Thicknet installed.  For compability issue,
providing Thicknet probably is a must for Sun.  In addition, the Thinnet
transceiver can be incorporated externally and does not have to be in the
system.  By taking the Thinnet transceiver away from the CPU board (on the
new CPUs), the board space is reduced as well as the system cost (believe
me, when you want to integrate a lot of features on a small board, every
single square mil does count). And for those users that need the Thinnet
interface, an external converter which is available from many vendors is a
solution.  This is a win-win solution for everyone.

C. Nguyen

email: pacbell!key!nguyen
voice mail: (415) 623-2136
Postal mail:	AMDAHL/KEY COMPUTER LABS
		Advance Projects Division
		4245  Technology Dr
		Fremont, Ca 94539

Disclaimer: I neither speak for Sun nor for my current employer.  Obviously,
it's my opinion.