Need information on "panic: mget"

pratt at triangle.com pratt at triangle.com
Sat May 6 09:12:19 AEST 1989

In Sun-Spots v7n244 Michael Maciolek writes

	Could someone enlighten me (or refer me to some enlightening
	back-issues of sun-spots) as to the general origin of the
	classic "panic:  mget" error message?  I'd like a general
	understanding of what an "mget" is trying to do, and why it
	might panics.

	We are running SL/IP on a 3/160 running SunOS 3.5.  We didn't
	seem to have any trouble with panic:mget until we also
	installed a Tektronics interface board for their 4693D color
	printer.

We're having the same problem, but with slip4.0 on a Sun-4 under 4.0.1 and
with the offending widget possibly being either an ALM-2 or (an interface
to) MTU's Digisound-16.  Rayan Zachariassen says it is probably due to
slip being interrupted during an mget, and that the driver should be
modified so that slip_rput queues everything to a service routine.  Sounds
like it may apply to 3.x slip as well.  Small matter of finding someone to
do it.

	Vaughan Pratt
	pratt at triangle.com