SCSI interface consistency question

Brook Milligan ut-emx!brook at cs.utexas.edu
Sat May 6 21:10:38 AEST 1989

How consistent are SCSI interface products (mainly disk and tape drives)
from different manufacturers? Are the differences more than just the
connectors? As far as I can tell each machine has a different connector,
but can one make adaptor cables and mix devices? Is the electrical
interface consistent enough for drivers to work successfully with many
devices?  I have tried to summarize some of the connector types below.
Can anyone fill in the blanks?

    IBM PC's (Western Digital boards)   Centronics 50 pin socket
    Mac's                               Centronics 50 pin socket
    Sun                                 DB50 socket
    Digital (DS3100)                    ?
    Apollo                              ?
    Next                                ?
    HP                                  ?
    . . .

Thanks for your help.  Please respond via email.
Brook G. Milligan                   Internet:   brook at emx.utexas.edu
Department of Botany                Bitnet:     bohk313 at utaivc
University of Texas at Austin       UUCP:       ...!ut-emx!brook
Austin, Texas  78713   U.S.A.       (512) 471-3530