Grrr....exports stupidities under 4.0.1

Bob Mende Pie mende at athos.rutgers.edu
Wed May 24 06:38:14 AEST 1989

In article <4478.phil.hypatia at Rice> phil at hypatia.rice.edu (William
LeFebvre) writes:

> Now it wouldn't be all that unusual to want to export a given partition
> as read-only to a whole bunch of machines and read-write to a small
> number of machines, would it?  Let's see how difficult Sun makes it for
> us.
> [....]
> And before some wise guy tells me that I can just list all the hosts I
> need in the "rw=" option ("rw=a:b:c:d:...") let me say that, in our
> case, there are almost 60 hosts in the cs netgroup, and it does change
> from time to time.  I am *not* going to do that!

   Wouldn't it be funny if someone does... try exporting
	/dir	-ro,rw=a:b:c:d:...
this is what I did, and mounted /dir on my client specifying rw as an
option.  mount reports that it is mounted (rw).   But when trying to write
to the filesystem it gets a read-only-file-system error.
   Come on sun.  Allow mounting of ancestors (eg: /var and /var/spool/mail)
and allow two (or more) export conditions for each partition.   My case I
have a bunch of tek workstations that dont support domains (hostnames cant
have "." in them) that try to mount a sun filesystem via nfs.   With named
returning a domainified name for them nfs mounting looses.   So I want
somthing like
	/dir	-ro,rw=myclients
where myclients is a netgroup.  This should allow machines in myclients to
mount rw, while everyone else can mount ro.   Also... fix the mount command
so it does not lie when reporting how it has mounted a filesystem.

					/Bob...