R option to sendmail and artifacts

J. Brewster jjb at zeus.cs.wayne.edu
Thu May 18 06:03:05 AEST 1989

I just noticed yet another odd effect of the R option to sendmail...
we're running 4.0 on a bunch of Sun-3's, with mailboxes served from a
single fileserver, and mounted on both Sun clients and DEC clients.  I
used the OR option on the Sun clients to cause all messages to be routed
to the server, and modified the sendmail.cf file on the DEC machines to do
the same thing.  That has worked fine for many months.

After installing Usenet news software, I discovered that the mail messages
generated by Rnmail, while they do seem to get delivered, leave copies of
the df* file around, plus empty lf* and xf* files.  Any similar invocation
of "/usr/lib/sendmail -t < file" does the same thing.  Eliminating the OR
option from sendmail.cf and rewriting ruleset 0 to route all messages to
the mailhost causes this condition to cease.

J. Brewster               | "In this country, everything loose
jjb at cs.wayne.edu          | rolls to the West Coast."
...!mailrus!wsu-cs!jjb    | --Thomas A. Vanderslice, CEO of Apollo