text table full message

Matt Crawford matt at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Sat May 6 08:23:34 AEST 1989

I used to get "text: table is full" on this very multi-user sun-3/280.  It
means that too many distinct object codes are being run at the same time.
I usually saw it happen when 10 or more users were on and one or more of
them was running "IRAF", a large image processing system which consists of
many separate programs.  User processes would die (or rather, fail to
start) when the text table was full and "pstat -T" would show about zero
or one slots remaining.

Here is my cure.  After running "config ODDJOB" to configure a kernel, I
edited /sys/ODDJOB/param.c.  I changed

	int	ntext = 24 + MAXUSERS;
	int	ntext = 24 + 2 * MAXUSERS;

Since I have MAXUSERS=24, this is a 50% increase.  If you have a smaller
MAXUSERS you may want to increase ntext by some other amount.

Oh, and since this is a multiuser system, I also deleted the lines

	#undef MAXUPRC
	#define	MAXUPRC	(NPROC - 5)

from the generated param.c.  After these changes, you can run "make"
as usual.

Matt Crawford	     		matt at oddjob.uchicago.edu