Ethernet address of second board on Sun!

attcan!utzoo!henry at uunet.uu.net attcan!utzoo!henry at uunet.uu.net
Fri May 5 17:48:45 AEST 1989

>Contrary to every law in the Ethernet world Sun has decided to give both
>boards the same Ethernet address. Although this is illegal I have not been
>able yet to think of a scenario where this would lead to problems.
>
>If anyone can think of one we can have them sued or so :-)

Don't be too quick to sue.  I think if you look at the specs, you will
find that multiple boards on one machine are *required* to have the same
Ethernet address.  That is the way Ethernet works -- an address belongs to
a machine, not to a particular interface on said machine.  It is not
merely legal for them to have the same address, it is mandatory.  Purely
by accident, however, most things work even if the addresses differ.

Internet addresses, now, that's a different story, and an uglier one.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu