making xd1 bootable

ultra!beau at ames.arc.nasa.gov ultra!beau at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed May 17 04:23:54 AEST 1989

--> Among other things, I was trying to clone our boot disk (xd0) onto xd1.
--> After I set things up (ran installboot, etc.), I halted.  In the monitor,
--> I set up the eeprom to boot off of xd(0,1,0).  Fine.  I booted, and it got
--> vmunix off of xd1, as expected.  But it suddenly decided to use the root
--> and swap off of xd0:

In the kernel configuration file, there is a line that says (by default):

	config	vmunix		swap generic

That tells the kernel to look for its root and swap on the "standard" set
of devices, in the Sun-defined default search order, and to use the first
one it finds, usually "disk0a" and "disk0b".

To run entirely off an alternate drive, you need to configure the kernel
explicitly for that drive.  For example:

	config vmunix	root on xd1a swap on xd1b dumps on xd1b

You will end up with a slightly different kernel on each bootable device.

Beau James				beau at Ultra.COM
Ultra Network Technologies		{sun,ames}!ultra.com!beau