Networking problems in unusual configuration

Joe Michel-Angelo tekbspa!tss!joe at uunet.uu.net
Fri May 5 21:03:34 AEST 1989

| We've been around and around with Sun on this; I have yet to talk to
| someone who struck me as halfway competent.  I've been dealing with Suns
| since '82 and am no novice at this stuff, but I can't seem to convince Sun
| of that (I get bullsh*t suggestions like "are your cables making good
| contact").

but are your cables making good contact? whenever nd or nfs fails but the
network looks good to test hardware, it's because of the following:

	- thin/thick net segment bad
	- bad bnc, barrel, or t connector
	- bad vamp connection

	- bad drop cable
	- bad drop cable connector/connection
	- drop cable too long ("they" say 50 feet is max; i say it's 15 or 25 feet)

	- giant network!  (the length of every segments adds to total length)

	- too many neighboring repeators (you should never have more then 2 repeators
				next to each other)
in bizzare cases:

	- isolan repeator power source in 220 and not 110 volts position
		(repeator works but only for small packets)
		(hey-- don't try this ....)

	- ethernet segment ground problem ... ie: grounded to an
		isolated ground ups and not mother earth.

	- xcvrs set with ENCODER on ... ENCODER option should be disabled.

--
"The Network         Joe Angelo,  VP/Technical Support - Support Group Division
 Adminstrator        Teknekron Software Systems, Palo Alto, CA     415-325-1025
                     joe at tss.com - uunet!tekbspa!joe - tekbspa!joe at uunet.uu.net