Why are new Suns thick Ethernet only

smb at arpa.att.com smb at arpa.att.com
Thu May 11 20:33:09 AEST 1989

I asked why no thinwire.  I was told that there's just no room on the
board for the integral transceiver; they really packed things tight on the
SPARCstation 1.  (And why is Sun imitating DEC's names now?) As for why
not use just thinwire -- that's much less compatible.  If you have an
existing thickwire setup, you can't easily put in a single thinwire
station; going the other way, though, requires just a transceiver and drop
cable.  And who knows -- maybe Sun has finally learned how to build the
connectors...