PC-NFS 2.0 vs. SunOS 4.0.1

John D. Polstra polstra!jdp at uunet.uu.net
Thu May 11 23:23:37 AEST 1989

In <8904062203.AA00299 at polstra.UUCP>, I described a PC-NFS file creation
problem that appeared after I upgraded the fileserver from 3.5 to 4.0.1.
Others have encountered problems with NET PRINT.

Both of these classes of problems are caused by new XID cacheing under
4.0.1, as described in the March 1989 Software Technical Bulletin, page
417.  Thanks to the several people who pointed this out to me.

The suggested workaround in the STB doesn't work, in general.  But, I
wrote a short C program on the PC which creates then unlinks a file on the
server 256 times.  That flushes enough fresh XIDs through the server's
cache to clear up the problem.  If anybody wants a copy of the program,
contact me directly.

Steve McCarthy from Sun was kind enough to contact me instantly after my
posting hit his screen.  He said that PC-NFS 3.0.1, due out some time in
June, will correct this problem.

-- John Polstra         jdp at polstra.UUCP	...!uunet!practic!polstra!jdp