Help! Sun Gurus: installation problems

Frank Goodman spanki%lands.ced.Berkeley.EDU at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Wed May 17 04:36:04 AEST 1989

This is for a friend, please respond to him via e-mail:
dharris at dean.berkeley.edu

I have tried to install SunOS 4.0 and 3.5 on a Sun 3/150.

I load the memory resident unix properly, and it runs.  Then I load the
When the miniroot boots off the disk, I get the first few lines of SunOS
setup correctly  ( Size: number+number+number bytes ) and then the screen
goes completely black, and the workstation doesn't respond to the
keyboard, nothing short of power down/ power up returns control to the
keyboard.

There is possibly a problem with the disk drive.  In the format utility (
from the memory resident portion of the SunOS loaded prior to loading the
miniroot onto disk ) I used the analyze function to test the disk.  The
compare test ( read, write, compare ) gave a number of "Data Miscompare"
errors.

In addition I tried booting the miniroot directly from the tape, to which
I got the error message: "Not A File System"  The commmand I used to do this
>b st()
Boot: st(0,0,3)vmunix -asw

According to the listing I have of the tracks on the tape, the third track
is the miniroot.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
David Harris