Serial Port Communication with 386i: kermit

Bob Sutterfield bob at cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 9 02:37:32 AEST 1989

   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 21:01:27 EDT
   From: jes at mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith)

      How about Kermit?  You can even compile the same sources to give
      you a DOS Kermit or a UNIX Kermit...

   When did this occur?  Last I knew C-kermit was UNIX only.
   Certainly MS-KERMIT, being written in 80*86 assembly, isn't
   portable....

Sure enough, our local Kermit guru got back from Boston and he says that
MS-Kermit is still in 80*86 assembly language.  What's more, C-Kermit has
never received the necessary attention to make it work in that
environment.  So, I contributed to that infamous "Sun-Spots
misinformation" :-(.  You'll have to use separate sources to build the
Kermits for the two sides of your 386i.  At least the result will be
pretty similar, and protocol-compatible.

C-Kermit is certainly not limited to UNIX, though.  It's good for the
Macintosh, VMS, Amiga, Atari ST, and perhaps more.