Transceivers for SPARCstation-1's?

gnu at toad.com gnu at toad.com
Wed May 17 02:58:38 AEST 1989

I have a couple of SS-1's on order but we have an all-Cheapernet
network here.  For reasons probably related to FCC Class A emissions
testing (not to mention connector space on the 8.5x11 board), the SS-1
only has a 15-pin transceiver cable connector.  So I need an accessory
before my SS-1's are usable.

What I'm really looking for is something the size of a deck of playing
cards or so, that has a DB-15 with slidelocks on one end and a BNC on
the other.  The box should only be as wide as the DB-15, so it doesn't
block access to the other nearby connectors.  Nobody seems to make
something like this -- all the Ethernet transceivers I've been able to
find are built like tanks, though Ethernet transceiver circuitry takes
less than a square inch of board space.

I could get a regular transceiver and cable, but I'd rather have
something that just clips on, so that when I move the machine I don't
feel like Jacob Marley, dragging a 10-foot cable and a steel box.

Send leads by email to me (gnu at toad.com), I will summarize for Sun-Spots.

(By the way, the best price I've seen so far for old style xcvr/cable
is Sun's NETCAB-TMS3 at $180 plus NETCAB-930-3044 3-meter cable at $37.
You can order these by calling Paula Fair at +1 408 276 3699.  Email me
about better deals, too!)