LaserWriter II baud rate question

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri May 5 18:13:07 AEST 1989

>Sun-3s support speeds up to 38,400 baud; even if Sun won't say so,

The SunOS 4.0 documentation does indicate that 38.4KB is supported on the
CPU serial ports and on ALM-2 ports (no ALM-1/Systech/MTI ports, the
serial port chip there doesn't support 38.4).  This means "the hardware
can be run up to that speed"; you can probably find circumstances that
choke it when running 38.4KB input (as with lots of other boxes), and I
don't know if it'll run full-tilt 38.4KB on output.

>they wrote the software (stty, lpd, getty, etc.) to allow it.

The folks at Berkeley wrote "lpd" and "getty" (well, actually, "getty"
was, I think, in part done at Melbourne); Sun made some additions (like
making "lpd" use "statfs" instead of groveling over the superblock to find
out how full a file system is - the latter doesn't work very well over NFS
[[ So *that's* what they changed to make it work!  --wnl ]]).  "stty" is
basically Berkeley+AT&T work, with some amount of Sun work added in (more
in 4.0).

[[ Regarding lpd:  note that if you take the 4.3BSD source for lpd and
friends, recompile it and install it on a Sun running 4.0.x, you can not
make a Sun client be the server for a print queue.  Why?  Because
everything is NFS, and lpd wants to muck around in the superblock to (I
believe) find out how much space is left on the device.  How did I
discover this?  The hard way.  --wnl ]]