adding a ESDI disk drive to a SUN 4/260

Aritomo Shinozaki ari at kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu
Sun May 21 18:51:08 AEST 1989

We have a 4/260 with SCSI.  This is essentally a 3/160 or 3/260 with a
SPARC processor board. It uses a SCSI-3 interface board which connects to
a Emulex SCSI->EDSI adaptor which connects to a single EDSI disk,
currently a 327MB Micropolis 5 1/4" (380MB 1558).

There seems to be an extra connectors in the pedestal unit, where the
single drive currently resides.  There is a wide connector daisy chained
with the current drive, and extra power connectors for an additional drive
in the pedestal.  But there is a small connector and ribbon connector to
the current EDSI disk, but no extra for an additional disk.  I take it
that the wide connector is a daisy chained data/address bus, while the
small connector is a control cable.  Can the Emulex handle two EDSI disks,
and translate them into two SCSI devices so that I can mount another EDSI
disk as /dev/sd1? Or do I need to by another Emulex, and find space for it
in the cabinet.  Also can the second EDSI disk be a different size/type
from the other, or do both  have to be identical.  Where can I get info on
pinouts, jumpers, dip switches, cabling etc for this all?

Aritomo Shinozaki				ari at kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu
Loomis Laboratory of Physics			(217)-244-1744
Urbana IL, 61801