Problems: backups across ethernet

Neil McCulloch nmm at apss.ab.ca
Sat May 6 09:36:40 AEST 1989

Any help with this problem would be appreciated:

We have 3 cpus ethernetted together, Sun 3/280, Sun 3/160 and a CT S320.
Currently we are running local backups using the streaming tape drives on
the 160 and S320. The 280 is backed up using the mag tape drive. The 160
is in a separate building, ethernetted over a 56 kbs line. We have a need
to have offsite archiving of complete system dumps and would prefer to run
this on one medium, mag tape, from one machine, the 280.

The problem is of course, that neither cpio, tar nor dd will allow
multiple volumes and the main file systems on the remote machines are much
larger than will fit on one tape.

Has anyone got a suggestion of a way round this problem, apart from
playing around with the file list on the remote machines that is.

neil