rts/cts flow control?

R. James Nusbaum proton!nusbaum at ucsd.edu
Sat May 6 21:59:19 AEST 1989

Do Sun 3s support rts/cts flow control on the built in serial ports?  The
manuals seem to suggest that they don't (they tell you to enable xon/xoff
and loop back the rts/cts wires), but there is an undocumented switch to
stty, crtscts, that probably is meant to turn the hardware flow control on
and off.  Seems that I remember some words about this in the past some
time.

The reason I would like to use rts/cts concerns the following scenario: A
Telebit T1000 modem on ttyb. The Telebit can take data at 19200baud and
will use flow control to manage slower phone line connections.  It is
easier for getty if the line between the modem and the Sun is locked at
19200.  Unfortunately I want to dial in from home at 2400baud which means
the modem will have to use flow control to manage things.  Xon/Xoff really
screws up emacs, which I want to use from home.  So I can either try to
get getty to match the phone connection speed on ttyb and hope flow
control isn't needed or I can try to use rts/cts, which the Telebit really
likes to use anyway.

Jim Nusbaum
LLUMC Radiation Research Laboratory
(714) 824-4077