sun servers inflexible ??

Eric Y.W. Ho eho at bogey.princeton.edu
Wed May 24 17:18:48 AEST 1989

Date:    Wed, 24 May 89 12:51:47 EDT
From:    Phil Ritzenthaler <phil at bashful.cgrg.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: tcsh and GNU Emacs

> Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of an executable for tcsh for a
> Sun3 running SunOS4.0?  I grabbed the SunOS3 version from uunet, but Gnu
> Emacs has trouble getting the working directory from it.   It always >
thinks you're in whatever directory you were in when you started up the >
tcsh, i.e. if I start a tcsh in /home/russell, cd into a subdirectory and
> type "emacs test.txt", emacs thinks the filename is >
"/home/russell/test.txt".

Sorry about the previous message . . .

New Sun OS$ (the $ was a typo, but sometimes now I thinks it's fact . . .) sets
an evnironment variable PWD that tcsh does NOT use.  I ran  into this problem
too.

The most unelegant solution I found is to place:
	unsetenv PWD

in my .cshrc

Phil Ritzenthaler   The Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
Systems Manager     The Ohio State University
                    UUCP: ...!{pyramid,killer}!grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu!phil
                    ARPA: phil at grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu

"Research is the process by which a loose brick is found through pounding one's
 head against a wall."  --  Anonymous