automount and symbolic links

Ron Stanonik stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
Wed May 17 08:28:05 AEST 1989

We're running sunos 4.0.1.

This might save someone else a little flailing.

I was trying, unsuccessfully, to automount /usr/man from a server, using a
direct map; ie, automount /- /etc/auto.direct.  Onto where was I trying to
automount it?  Why /usr/man, of course!  That is, auto.direct contained

/usr/man	atlantic:/usr/man

Wrong!  /usr/man is a symbolic link (to /usr/share/man).  automount,
understandably, doesn't mount on it.  It also doesn't complain to the
user, though it does syslog the problem.  Unfortunately, the
syslog.conf(.master) on sun386i's ignores daemon.err messages; ie,

*.err;kern.debug;daemon,auth.notice;daemon.alert	/var/adm/messages

I removed the daemon.alert, so daemon.err would get logged.

Getting back to /usr/man, it might be useful to have automount follow the
link to a directory and mount there.

Ron Stanonik
stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil