"Lost" /etc/rc* errors

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.icst.nbs.gov
Thu May 11 18:31:21 AEST 1989

ultra!beau at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Beau James):

? Silent failures from the /etc/rc* scripts have been a pet peeve of mine
? for many years....

?     # Note that all "echo" commands are in parentheses.  This is done
?     # because all commands that redirect the output to "/dev/console"
?     # must be done in a child of the main shell, so that the main shell
?     # does not open a terminal and get its process group set...

This looked fishy to me when I saw it too. OK, so `echo' is builtin, but
/bin/echo isn't, so why not just use that?

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?