Bug in 4.0.1 rmt

David Classen dclassen at swift.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed May 17 03:47:23 AEST 1989

> I just ran across a new bug in 4.0.1:  Every time I read past a FILE mark
> on a tape using the rmt remote magtape protocol module on a Sun 3/160C
> with a CDC tape drive and tapemaster controller, I get:
> vmunix: panic: hat_unload - pmg not kept
> followed by a crash dump and reboot.  This is repeatable.  Has anyone ever
> seen this before?

Dave - I have this same problem.  I have a similar configuration except i
have a 3/160s instead of a 3/160c.  After the usual week and a half I got
a call from sun and they said they had a patch and would e-mail it to me
that day. I thought this was great, not only did they respond but they
even had a fix and would send it to me (quick).  That was two weeks ago
and I have yet to see a patch. I've tried to get back in touch with them
but no luck so far.  What is sun doing? I can understand that they might
be a bit swamped. But when they finnaly get back to you you think that
they could at least follow through.  This is not the first time that
service problems have simply vaporized on their end.  It's just not
getting any better!  I think that as a group of users, AND paying
customers we must get together to try to change things. Sun has a good
product, but i don't feel that they can afford to do this much longer.

	Any thoughts??

David Classen
dclassen at swift.bcm.tmc.edu
(713) 798 3738

P.S.  Dave - if you do get the patch could you send me a copy?