Exabyte vs Optical?

Jonathan D. Trudel trudel at caip.rutgers.edu
Tue May 16 03:06:59 AEST 1989

I find that I will need some sort of mass storage device for dumps and
other things.  I've been looking at purchasing either the Exabyte unit or
getting a Sony workstation with erasable optical drives attached.

What sort of experiences have people had with the Exabyte drive in terms
of reliability?  Most of what I've heard is second or third hand.  Most
people say that the Exabytes themselves are reliable, but the 8mm video
tapes that you use don't hold up to prolonged usage.

Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.