Arrow keys and Type 4 keyboard

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Thu May 25 04:10:48 AEST 1989

Here's another gripe related to the new "Type-4" keyboard:  Does anyone
know how to get the arrow keys working properly when accessing an older
machine (i.e. one with a Sun Type-3 keyboard) from a newer machine (i.e.
one with a Sun Type-4 keyboard, e.g. a 386i) over the network?

The problem is that the termcap entries for ku, kr, kd and kl are
different on the two types of machines.  On a system with a Type-3
keyboard we find:

Mu|sun|Sun Microsystems Workstation console:\

	(stuff here ...)

	:ku=\E[A:kd=\E[B:kr=\E[C:kl=\E[D:\

	(more stuff ...)

but on my system with a Type-4 keyboard (a Sun 386i) there are different
definitions for key up, key down, key right, key left:

Mu|sun|Sun Microsystems Workstation console:\

	(stuff here ...)

	:ku=\E[215z:kd=\E[221z:kr=\E[219z:kl=\E[217z:\

	(more stuff ...)

The result is that when I rlogin to our Sun 3's or Sun 4's I can't
use the arrow keys !!!  Is there an obvious workaround for this that
I'm missing?

Thanks!

Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
gfr at cobra.mitre.org