Low level ethernet protocols: Sun to PC.

Neil Hunt neil at teleos.com
Sat May 27 10:02:45 AEST 1989

I am trying to get a Sun to talk to a robot arm controller on a PC;
currently I am using a serial line link, sending a 30 byte packet each
tick to specify robot actions.  I would like to put an ethernet card in
the PC, and talk to it using that.

I have a internet datagram protocol communication performing a similar
task between two suns;  ideally someone will tell me how to program a PC
to receive and transmit such udp packets from the PC!  Currently we do not
have a PC ethernet card:  what should we look out for when purchasing such
an item, and what software will I require in order to permit such udp
commincation?

With little cash, are there other software products which will provide me
with additional functionality, such as file transfer, and mail?  How much
does PC-NFS cost?  Does it work properly yet?

Thanks,

Neil/.