R option to sendmail, again

Ron Stanonik stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
Wed May 10 11:52:29 AEST 1989

The consensus among the replies I received (none from sun, by the way) to
my question about the R option to sendmail is that it causes mail to be
forwarded to the sendmail daemon of the machine from which /usr/spool/mail
is mounted.  I gave this a try and found it to be true ... mostly ... well
leastly.  A sun4 named atlantic is our mail server.  Mounting
/usr/spool/mail from atlantic onto another sun4 named coral did indeed
cause mail sent from coral to be given to sendmail on atlantic for
delivery, even if the mail wasn't destined for atlantic.  Now the odd
part.  Mounting /usr/spool/mail from atlantic onto a sun3 and a sun386
didn't cause mail sent from them to be given to atlantic for delivery.
All machines are running sunos 4.0.1.  Well, maybe this feature isn't
fully implemented yet?

Ron Stanonik
stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil