SCSI tape hang problem resolution

Charlie Dennett kodak!cygnus!dennett at cs.rochester.edu
Tue May 23 22:04:25 AEST 1989

Recently I presented a problem to this forum concerning tar(1) and the
1/4" scsi tape hanging.  I received several responses.  I solved the problem
by removing the 4.0.1 scsi patch.  Many thanks to the readers of this
group for their help.

Here is a synopsis of the replies I received.
----------

     1.  Remove the scsi patch I put in with 4.0.1. (from various people)
     2.  Get patch called unix/4.0/st   Bug ID is 1012501.
         (Suggested by ...!ohio!kathryn)
     3.  If trying to replace an existing file with one from tape,
         remove the disc file first (ie rename it or purge it).
         (Suggested by denise at hc.dspo.gov)
     4.  Purge the files in the directory where the kernal is built.
         Build a new kernal, letting config(8) put all new copies of
         of the files back in the kernal's make directory.  This was
         Sun's original suggestion to me.  Not totally successful.

This group continues to astound me in the helpfulness of its readers.
Perhaps one day I can return the favor.
--
Charlie Dennett          | UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!cygnus!dennett
Infomation Services      | Internet:  dennett at cygnus.Kodak.COM