ftp problem

Sid Shapiro friday!sid at sun.com
Thu May 11 23:11:27 AEST 1989

> Following is an example of my ftp porblem:

> ca060d% ftp mango
> Connected to mango.
> 220 mango FTP server (SunOS 4.0) ready.
> Name (mango:dang): dang
> Password (mango:dang):
> 331 Password required for dang.
> 230 User dang logged in.
> ftp> ls
> ftp: bind: Can't assign requested address
> ftp>

I have seen that exact symptom.  In our case this is what happened: We
boot up a diskless workstation.  /etc/hosts is a link to a file system
that gets mounted after the ifconfig in /etc/rc.local.  All other programs
seem to work except ftp.

The bottom line was that the /etc/hosts file had to be in place during
execution of /etc/rc.boot then all worked well.

This is all a little vague, but I hope you get the idea.
/ Sid /