UNIX Technology Briefing in Melbourne

John Young munnari!sunchat.oz.au!yo at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 31 08:29:00 AEST 1989

Sun's recent New Product Introductions featured some 20 new products.
Naturally the glamour hardware products dominated the headlines and
over-shadowed the equally important announcements of some important pieces
of UNIX technology.  The OPEN LOOK Graphical User Interface (GUI), XView,
OPEN Desk Set, SPARCware and ISAM announcements have generated many
requests for further information from the software development community
in Australia.  To accommodate this demand with our finite staff resources,
we have decided to run a series of UNIX TECHNOLOGY BRIEFINGS in each
capital city.  The first of these will be held at Melbourne University, on
Wednesday, 14th June, from 9.00 AM until about 5.00 PM and we would like
to invite your organization to send one or more representatives.

The Briefings are designed for decision makers and managers of major
software projects.  These could be in-house packages, academic packages or
packages that are designed for resale.  We are particularly keen that
every company which has a software package in our Catalyst Program send a
representative.  You should also attend if your organization is in the
process of or about to start porting a software system to any of the Sun
hardware architectures, whether Motorola, SPARC or Intel based.  The
information passed on will assist you greatly in forward planning the
creation of X11, NeWS or XView interfaces conforming to the OPEN LOOK
specification.

The Briefing will be delivered by myself and Roger de Salis, our "Windows
Ambassador" for Sun Microsystems Australia.  There will be plenty of
opportunities to ask questions publicly or privately, and to discuss how
your organization should best approach the task of putting an OPEN LOOK
compliant interface on your own software packages.

I stress that the Briefing will not be oriented to training programmers in
the use of XView, X11 or NeWS. Formal training courses will be advertised
shortly for this purpose.

The agenda for the UNIX TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING will include the following
topics:

	- OPEN WINDOWS
	- OPEN LOOK specification
	- X11/NeWS merged windowing system
	- XView toolkit
	- OPEN WINDOWS Desk Set
	- SunWrite, SunPaint, SunDraw for inclusion in 3rd party packages
	- SPARCware specification
	- Sun ISAM
	- SunGKS & SunPHIGS

The number of places is limited and so it is essential that bookings are
made as soon as possible.  Could I ask you to respond by email to me or
by phone to one of the following numbers.

	Selena Kilburn                  Karen Morris
	Sun Melbourne office            Sun Sydney office
	(03) 571 0911                   008 024042

Morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided by Sun
Microsystems Australia.

Regards

John Young                      ACSnet: yo at sunaus.oz.au
Solutions Marketing Manager     UUCP:   ...uunet.UU.net!sun!sunaus.oz.au!yo
Sun Microsystems Australia      JANET:  yo%sunaus.oz at uk.ac.ucl.cs
Level 1, 495 Victoria Ave       ARPA:   yo at sun.com
Chatswood  NSW,  2064           fax:    +612 413 1656
Australia                       phone:  +612 413 2666

P.S. If people in other states are interested in attending a briefing
session in their capital city could they drop me an email so that I can gauge
the level of interest and look into booking venues.  Suffice it to say we
intend to run similar sessions in each capital city over the next 2-3 months
and the order of locations will be dictated by the demand generated by the
programming community out their in netland.