Quotas on Sun 3 running 4.0.1

The Demented Teddy Bear dieter at jupiter.nmt.edu
Sun May 7 05:17:36 AEST 1989

I've been noticing serious discrepancies between actual disk usage and
what quota reports for some users.  The most blatant case is the user
``news''.  The scenario:

	news% quota -v
	Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft
	/home          31866 180000 300000
	root# quotacheck /home
	news% quota -v
	Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft
	/home          51103 180000 300000

Now, I can handle it being off a couple hundred kb, since news comes in
over nntp fairly often, but 20 Mb ?!  This is standard.  I'm assuming that
quotacheck gets it fairly close, even on a live system.

The system is a Sun 3/280 running 4.0.1, sharing file server
responsibilities with another 3/280.  The nntp stuff only runs on this
machine and all news- related files live on this machine.

Ideas?

Dieter Muller
P.S.  Anybody wanna buy a recently rebuilt DEC-20?