Root login using rlogin to a 386i

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Fri May 26 11:19:25 AEST 1989

reilly at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G B Reilly) writes:
>A colleague of mine insists upon being able to rlogin as root into his Sun
>386i.  Is there some clean way to support this.  Comments on how dumb this
>is are not welcome as the machine is on a closed network.

I think the problem is in /etc/ttytab.  Root login is only allowed on
those tty's that are labelled as 'secure'.  On our system that does not
include the network ports.  We only allow root login from the console,
serial lines that are entirely within our Division, or vi 'su' from
another account.

-David-

Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios at wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110