nfsd going crazy

tr at ctt.bellcore.com tr at ctt.bellcore.com
Tue May 23 11:12:27 AEST 1989

I have a Sun-3 server running SunOS version 4.0.1 with about 25 boot
clients.  I know this is pushing the limit, but for the time being it has
to do.

My problem is that starting about two or three weeks ago, the load average
went from about 2 to about 9 or 10.  It has stayed there, and I haven't
changed anything.  The culprit has been the copies of nfsd.  They are
racking up huge amounts of cpu time.  I changed them to run 16 copies
rather than 8 and that made it worse.

Anything I should check?  Performance has gotten pretty bad!

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr at ctt.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!ctt!tr
444 Hoes La room 1E225         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854           |                (201) 287-2345 [home]