Sun 7053 Disk Controller with Fujitsu 688 Meg Drive

William LeFebvre phil at rice.edu
Sat May 20 03:32:25 AEST 1989

Eduardo Krell says:
> I'm using a SUN SMD-4 (the 7053) with a CDC 9720-1230 drive and I've never
> had any problems, so the SMD-4 does handle 3 MB/s transfer rates.  I know
> the documentation for the SMD-4 says that it will only support up to 2.4
> transfer rates, but I called SUN technical support and they said it really
> does support 3.0 transfer rates.  I guess the most convincing argument is
> the fact that it works fine.

I got this bit of information from someone "in the know":

Well, you got lucky.  Sun purchases the XD7053 from Xylogics without
specifying that they be suitable for 3.0.  Some of the ones they get will
not run that fast, although most of them will.  The bottom line is that
you _ARE_ taking a chance unless you get one certified for 3.0.  This
information was given to me by people at SUN who are in a position to know
this, and had more to loose by giving me the information than they had to
gain.