dumping to 600' tape

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Fri May 12 23:00:54 AEST 1989

> When I try to dump to a 600 feet, 1/4 inch tape I get an incorrect number
> of tapes required if I use the following command:
>
> 	dump 0ucsf 5175 /dev/rst0 /dev/sd0g
>
> Basically, dump seems to under-estimate the number of tapes required
> by a factor of 10.

One way to avoid this problem is to avoid using the older quik-11 format
/dev/rst0 - I always use /dev/rst8 (quik-24 format).  Things seem to work
fine for me using the command exactly as described in the Sun manual:

	dump 0ucfs /dev/nrst8 600 /dev/rsd0g

the c option says this is a cartridge tape; the s option with parameter
600 says the tape length is 600 ft (if you leave it out dump will assume a
450 foot tape).  Since I use /dev/nrst8 the tape doesn't rewind when done.
When I take the tape out and look at it, it looks like most of the tape
has been used.  The number of tapes that dump says I need has so far been
pretty accurate.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org