LaserWriter II baud rate question

David L. Markowitz felix!arcturus!dav at hplabs.hp.com
Sat May 20 06:44:33 AEST 1989

In article <2968 at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, henkel%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Chuck Henkel) writes:
> By the way, what happens if you set the printer to 38400 baud, and then
> find that your Sun can't talk to it? How do you reset the printer to the
> old baud rate? Sounds like something that could catch someone. (Me, I also
> have a mac hooked up to the printer through the other port, so I can
> change it that way.)

I had this problem, but careful perusal of the manual showed that the
printer can be reset to 9600 by toggling a switch off, wait a few seconds,
toggling it on again, and cycling power.

> Also, I didn't even try to use 38400 baud because some guy had posted
> saying there was a bug in lpr that prevented its use. (Something about
> using a short to store the baud rate, and 38400 won't fit in a short.) I
> did get it to work at 19200 though.

38400 will work under 4.0.1 (get the serial patch tape), but not 3.X.
19200 is the maximum speed that lpd understands in 3.X.  They fixed lpd in
4.0, but unfortunately they forgot to fix "tip" (Hello?  Sun?  Hello?).
It still maxes out at 19200.

I have one system running 4.0.1 that has an NTXII, so I tried to set it up
at 38400.  After ten minutes of lpd using 9600 anyway, I was about to pull
out some hair when I remembered that this system supported Interleaf TPS
3.X, and they had required replacing the 4.0 lpd with the 3.X one to work
around a bug.  (*sigh*)  It does work at 19200, though.

	David L. Markowitz		Rockwell International
	...!sun!sunkist!arcturus!dav	dav at arcturus.UUCP
	The above opinions are merely that, and only mine.